January 2014 Meeting Minutes
(First meeting of 2014 being held in new “clubhouse” aka Norwalk’s brand new FDHQ)
- – Meeting called to order by President Jay NE2Q at 8:05pm. There were 24 attendee’s.
- – Jay said a few words about his presidency during 2013, plus when he was president quite a few years ago.
- – Tim W1GIG said we’ll now be meeting here at FDHQ, in the EOC, which has been funded from various sources. Tim went on to describe some of the room’s features. He also announced that long-time GNARC member Ron, formerly known as WA1PMS, is ill, & residing permanently in the nursing facility in Westport, formerly known as Mediplex. Ron’s equipment is for sale, anyone interested should contact Tim.
- – Tim announced the nominee’s for 2014’s election:
- Sam Dick NV1P for President
- Charles Lelievre N1LLL for VP
- Marty Diamond KA1WBN for Secretary/PIO
- Jim Francoeur KC1FB for Treasurer
There being no further nominations from the floor, Vlad Spitzer W1ZP moved that nominations be closed (so moved). Tim “moved” to have one vote cast for entire slate as it stands (seconded by Vlad). Vote carried unanimously.
- – Sam NV1P took over as President.
- – Dan N1ZZ motioned to give Jay NE2Q a round of applause for being president in 2013 (seconded by Don KA1TZR………. Round of applause……….
- – Secretary’s Report: Marty KA1WBN stated November’s minutes are on the website. Motion to accept November’s minutes was moved and seconded and accepted by all
- – Treasurer’s Report: Jim reported that the club’s finances were good, checking and savings balances were announced.
- – Dee N1ZD motioned that the Treasurer’s report be accepted, Toy K1WYQ seconded and accepted without corrections or omissions.
- – Someone asked about the current dues………they’re on GNARC’s website, & included on the membership application.
- – Committee Reports: PIO – Marty said December’s minutes are in the form of a press release, that has been sent to the press & ARRL for publication, plus GNARC’s website.
- – Repeater: Charles/N1LLL was accepted as the designated repeater trustee. Steve/NA1SV the outgoing trustee gave up the position because of work related issues.
- – Charles has already been working with the repeaters and said adjustments have been made to the repeater, including but not limited to; performance “tweaking”, addition of news/weather broadcasts, & cross-linking.
- – Toy/K1WYQ received compliments for coordinating the holiday party
- – Sam said he wants to appoint a committee to search for a “fresh” location for GNARC’s holiday party.
- – Jay suggested the President write a letter to Stop & Shop, thanking them for allowing GNARC to use their conference room for monthly meetings during 2013. Marty said he’d write the letter & present it to Sam for his signature.
- – Vlad said he thinks there should be more board meetings. He was only aware of one during all of 2013. He believes the constitution calls for multiple (board) meetings throughout the year.
- – Sam also said he wants to have a new committee formed to recruit new HAMS.
- – Marty made the suggestion of having those GNARC members who are willing, contribute the info of their skills/trades for publication on GNARC’s website, for the explicit use of other club members only, in the event a (club) member wanted to hire them for something in or around their own house. Sam motioned that this suggestion be tabled for further consideration.
- – Vlad suggested a “mission statement” be created/modified, & included with welcoming new member orientation.
- – Tim suggested updating the OEM application to include whether or not members can tow, etc.
- – New and/or visiting members: Chris Hansen WO1T
Joe Collin KC1AUH
David Heiden N1TJG
Tom Alessi K4TNK
- – Toy reminded everyone that he is the District Emergency Coordinator (DEC) for ARES in Region 1 and would like to start an ARES net again, alongside one of the nets that is currently conducted. Paul WB2JVB described CERT for some members who expressed interest, inquiring as to what it’s all about.
- – Sam announced that Don/KA1TZR will give a presentation on Hallicrafter’s equipment at the next meeting in February.
- – Don briefly spoke about his association with Hallicraft equipment
- – Jon WB2RYV announced that SARA’s meeting will be tomorrow night, at Stamford’s Government Center at 8:00pm.
- – Sam announced several upcoming nets: Tuesday nights – CERT – 8:00pm
Tuesday nights – D-Star – 8:00pm
Wednesday nights – Ragchew – 8:00pm
Thursday nights – 10-Meter (28.400) – 8:00pm
Thursday (morning) – 7 MHz (7178) – 8:00am
Sam mentioned there’s also a 40-Meter net every morning at 8:00am, except Sunday’s.
Charles said the HAM news line will come on after Wednesday night’s net. Melissa N1VSZ asked what “D-Star” stood for. Digital Smart Technology for Amateur Radio.
- – Paul WB2JVB made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Jim KC1FB. Meeting adjourned at 9:40pm
Martin KA1WBN Diamond
GNARC Sec’y & PIO