Attending: Officer members –Jon Perelstein AI1V, President; Paul LaVorgna W1PPL, Asst Treasurer, Tom Gunther W1TEG, Secretary, Marty K1MGD VP and David N1DPD, Treasurer. Other members in attendance included: Steve K1RF, Pete H KC1PWH, Steve W1SMS,
Minutes: Meeting called to order at 7:40 PM by President Jon AI1V; with members noted in attendance, in-person.
LOCATION: American Legion Post 12, at 60 County St, Norwalk, CT 06851
Order of Business
- Dues – The president noted our “Dues Holiday” for 2022. Where Members will not be asked to pay dues for the coming year as a way of saying thank you for your patience during the pandemic. This will probably change in the next fiscal year.
- Future Meeting Presentations – For next month Steve K1RF agreed to reach out to Larry Reed who provided a very interesting presentation on his high-altitude balloon launches in the past, for an update on his latest balloon activities. Other topic possibilities include Solar Energy advances, cable business updates and EVs.
- Events –: Field Day = June 25-26, 2022. Field Day planning has begun at GNARC. Considerable discussion occurred on various antenna options such as directional unit, a spider beam with 2 or 3 elements, a hex beam for 20/15/10; etc. Discussion on height up occurred i.e. 30’ +/- and various mast sizes available; as well as the simplicity of a wire antenna. Also discussed how many members will come and participate in FD. Location for FD was discussed such as Vets Park; West Rocks School, Westport Observatory or other potential sites. Members Jon and PPL will visit the Westport Observatory K1WAS | Westport Astronomical Society (was-ct.org). It looks like the Astronomical Society location may have a lot of benefits and excellent location for joint FD activities. Stay tuned for updates on this.
- Treasurer’s Report –– The club finances remain strong. The Treasurer has filed the appropriate tax forms, paid our insurance, and handled the CT state non-profit fee and trailer registration costs.
- Education/Testing – We have a VE session on Sat March 26 at 1 pm at The Readiness Collective. VE’s needed.
- Presentation: No formal presentation was planned for this event. This meeting was a trial to evaluate the new location at the American Legion Hall. The club pays $50 to utilize a large hall and have access to the facility Bar in the lower level after the meeting. Members did indeed go down for some refreshment at 9 PM after the meeting. All present agreed it was a great success to use this wonderful location complete with ample parking.
- New Business: Discussed the need to find a location for Club activities and a radio shack. Members are encouraged to seek out potential locations such as a town community center, social clubs, senior citizen centers or Senior Residences, a local Fire house, a local high school or other facilities. Each of these could provide a mutual benefit with GNARC having a presence in their facility. Members are encouraged to seek out such locations and forward to club officers.
Next meeting will be April 13th at the American Legion Post 12, 60 County St, Norwalk, CT 06851
Members are encouraged to attend in person! Social distancing is easy in such a large facility and the bar downstairs is open after the meeting.
Meeting adjourned 9:00 PM