Category Archives: Meeting Minutes

February 2017 Meeting Minutes

Called to order at 7:32.

Minutes accepted at 7:35.

Financials as of 2/6 – the Club is in good shape financially. (Actual numbers are not reported on the web site. See Jim if you have any detailed questions)

Dues are due! Get them in!

Steve gave a presentation on lightning and ham radio. Really great discussion of what makes a good ground, designing a lightning protection system, and how to protect your antennas and rigs. Big takeaway: install multiple ground rods. Quarter wave DC short types (stubs) are wonderful if you stick them in one end of a T-joint and put your rig in the other end. If your ground rods are at the same potential, and remains at the same potential while the strike occurs (dissipating up to 56,000 amps), no damage will occur. But some grounding is better than no grounding, so whatever you can afford, you should put in. Very informative talk especially with summer coming up! Check it out.

We have some new committees in the club this year!

Tech Committee (headed by Curt) – Monthly report: we installed a TS 590 in the club’s radio room, it’s functional and working. It still needs some decorating though. The next project for the tech committee is that they’re looking into either repairing or replacing the beam.

Education Committee (headed by Paul) – Paul is helping to teach a tech class hosted at the comms center. So far, we have 21 people enrolled in tech class, and even people on a waiting list. We have some CERT people in the class, as well as some fire and police personnel. Depending on how this goes, we’ll have another one in the spring.

Bylaws Committee (headed by Paul) – We’re working on updating the bylaws and making them current. The corrected and updated bylaws will be submitted to the membership for consideration and further input before they’re declared official.

Special Events/Public Service/VE Committee (headed by Lisa) – The first VE session was on Saturday February 11th. Coming up, there’s the Mini Maker Faire in Westport in April 22, and the Bloomin’ Metric in May. Volunteers will be needed for these events, so if you’re interested, get in touch with Lisa.

Field Day Committee (headed by Sam) – he’ll need help with the technical committee and logistics starting in a couple of weeks. Expect a good number of the club members to be contacted.

There was no old business or new business to be discussed.

Meeting adjourned at 8:40. Motion to adjourn made by Jess, seconded by Hugo.  Minutes submitted by Rachel KB1VWJ

January 2017 Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 7:30. 

30 members in attendance. 

We started with Douglas’s (WA1SFH) presentation, “Sharing the Magic: Bringing Local Kids into Amateur Radio”. How do the older hams replace the younger generation? Douglas gave us some great ideas for starting the year off with some youth outreach. Very thought provoking presentation! 

After the presentation, it was time for the annual vote for the 2017 Elected Officers. Toy (K1WYQ) led the vote off, George (AB1QK) seconded for 2017 officers at 8:17. 

The roster is: 

President – Tom Alessi (K1TA) VP – Paul Lourd (WB2JVB) Sec. – Rachel Ambrose (KB1VWJ) Treasurer – Jim Francoeur (KC1FB)

We had a new face attending this meeting – KC1WLR, president of Westport Astronomical Society. It was great to see him! 

New Business: 

Sam brought up the MS bike ride. He just got the first email about the 2017 ride from his point of contact with the event. They’ll be starting from Dinosaur BBQ in Stamford this year, and as a bonus, the path won’t go north – it’ll go up the coast. The 100 mile route is cancelled, and the ride will go from Stamford to Fairfield and back. Happily, we expect none of the issues with repeater coverage that we had to contend with last year. We’ll need volunteers to be in the sag wagons and volunteers to be scouts. If you want to be involved, get in touch with Sam (NV1P). 

Tom is going to be heading up Winter Field Day. An email will go out on the reflector so let him know if you’re interested by replying. It’s January 28th and 29th, and we’ll do it from the comms center. 

Reminder that dues are due by March 31st to Jim (KC1FB). 

Meeting adjourned at 8:33. 

November 2016 Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 7:39 pm. Fifteen members in attendance, one guest (John, recently licensed, electrical engineer, worked for a number of area tech companies, KC1GGG.)

New Business:

Treasury report: We sold off a number of rigs, and are planning to buy new early in the new year. There will have special meeting to discuss that. Special thanks to Mark (N1CT) for doing the heavy lifting, shipping of the rigs, etc.

We put down payment on another venue for the holiday party on 12/14 – the Laurel Athletic Club. Liability insurance will be renewed at the end of this month. We’re in good shape balance wise. We will invite the CT section manager and section emergency coordinator.

Elections of Officers: nominations are now open for all positions, but selections from the nominating committee are: Jim (KC1FB) for treasurer, Rachel (KB1VWJ) for secretary, Paul (WB2JVB) for VP, Tom (K1TA) for President. They’ll be announced again at the holiday party. George (AB1QK) will be not seeking a second term at the end of this year for club president. He recognized Sam and Paul in particular for their help in shepherding him through his time in the position.

We got QSL cards from the Lighthouse Event in September and are in the process of sending them out. The club now has beautiful new QSL cards to be used for club contacts! 

Motion made by George (AB1QK) to adjourn at 8:11 pm, motion seconded by Jim (KC1FB).

October 2016 Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 7:34, 16 members in attendance, 1 guest

Old Business:

Lisa KC1YL and Paul WB2JVB, along with eight other club hams there, brought the IC 718 and Paul’s portable rig to Ambler Farms in Wilton last Saturday. They put two antennas up in the air, one OFC and one G5RV, got Denmark and Lithuania among other contacts, got to interact with kids in the apprentice program at the farm who seemed very interested in ham radio.

New Business:

The reason for the recent comm center closure: City of Norwalk was concerned about us going in and out of the comms center at all hours and making modifications to the building that they weren’t necessarily enthused about. Paul and Charles N1LLL met with the Emergency Management Director and came to the following agreement: we can operate one night a week plus Saturday during the day, and if we want to operate overnight, we have to let the City know in advance. Everything is fine, we just need to have a clear line of communication between all involved. Paul is now the city liaison for the club, so if you want to do something special, get in touch with him. In order for us to keep our space, it is very important that we provide service to the City of Norwalk at volunteer events such as the MS Ride, Bikes 4 Bikes, Tree Festival, etc. Let’s show the City how useful hams can be! Read More →

September 2016 Meeting Minutes

A. Call to order: 7:35 PM by the President, George Flay, AB1QK.
B. Attending:
• Tom Gunther W1TEG
• Josh Tamarkin KC1GFO
• Mark Floyd N1CT
• Tim Walker W1GIG
• Toy Alladin K1YWQ
• Dee Payne N1ZD
• Chris Mai KB1YCL
• Joe Collin KC1AUH
• Curt Seaton W1FSM
• Jim Francoeur KC1FB
• Steve Dick K1RF
• Roberta Dick KB1YOZ
• Steve Simons W1SMS
• Martin Diamond KA1WBN
• Douglas Sharfanowich WA1SFH
• Paul LaVorgna KC1EAA
• Lisa Neuscheler KC1YL
• C. Lelievre N1LLL
• George Flay AB1QK
(apologies for any mis-spellings)

C. Tim Walker, W1GIG, – presentation — a movie on the history of radio development.and grime ton development.

D. Chris Mai KB1YCL, showed his areal video of the lighthouse day via a drone camera. The event delivered 87 contacts, 10 DX and linked to 3 National Parks. Read More →

July 2016 Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 7:40 pm

Attendance: 17

Old Business: Treasurer report: In good shape in checking and savings.

Field Day Wrap-up: Paul, Sam, and George really stepped up to make Field Day happen, so much thanks to them. Considering the small amount of people who participated, we did really well. We should definitely document our mistakes and things that need tweaking in order to do better next year. This year’s Field Day was rather hurriedly put together so we had to put out some fires as they happened, which isn’t ideal. A dry run might be helpful two to four weeks before it happens next year to make sure everything works and everyone knows where crucial pieces of equipment are. Some of our Field Day equipment is in need of repair so we need to take things out, make sure they work, and fix them if they don’t. We can practice putting up antennas, setting up rigs, and figuring out where everything should be positioned at Vets’ Park. This would also be a good chance for newer/younger members to learn how to put up the beam and then we can use it next year for Field Day. The beam itself is also in need of some repair, so it really needs to be a club project. Would anyone like to spearhead this? Read More →

June Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 7:40.

Members in attendance: 20.

Dan (N1ZZ) gave a presentation on his Field Day experiences and his ham radio history in general. Worthy of note in particular was his contribution to the US Army by assisting with running telephone patches. He started the New Canaan High School’s ham radio club when he was newly licensed. By 21, he had acquired Worked All Zones. He’s also placed 2nd in the world in the OKOM contest. Even for those of us who’ve known Dan for a long time, this was an engaging and entertaining talk. Given his recent announcement that he’s leaving our lovely state in favor of warmer climes, it was especially timely. Unfortunately there isn’t a powerpoint, but if you email Dan, he’ll be happy to set up a “sched” with you once he gets settled in his new home. Read More →